Family Relations Class Week #6

  Hello everyone and welcome back to this week’s blog post about my family relations class! Last week in my blog post I talked about the differences between men and women. These differences are more than just the physical, as I talk mostly about the mental differences such as the way they act as well as interact. In this week’s blog post I will be talking about dating, the culture of dating, and the things we should look for in another person while dating. 

One of the biggest things that I learned about this week is the difference between dating and courtship. Did you know that being in a relationship such as boyfriend and girlfriend moving towards marriage is known as courtship, not dating? To be completely honest with you, until we talked about it in class this week, I didn’t. I may have never heard of that term simply because of where I grew up or maybe because of the family I grew up in. Maybe I was just sick the day that was taught or something. Anyways, there is a difference between dating and courtship and today I would love to specifically talk about dating and what it means.

Dating means getting to know someone casually and without commitment. There are different ways that people go about dating. The first is recreation. All of us have a need for time to relax and have fun. When younger people such as those who are between the grades of sixth and eleventh are more likely to date for the purpose of recreation such as to have fun. 

Another reason for dating is for intimacy and companionship. Those who are at a college level tend to emphasize intimacy and companionship. Males may look for sexual intimacy more than females do and females may look for interpersonal intimacy more. However, intimacy and companionship both are important to males and females. 

The third is mate selection. This is one of the most common forms of dating. This is dating with the hopes or intentions of finding someone to marry. One of the biggest predictors of stability in a dating relationship is whether both people believe there is a change of marriage. 

The fourth is status attainment. From the perspective of a conflict theorist we can see that some people date for the reason of obtaining a higher status. This can be seen not only with adults but in younger people as well. We can see this in high school dating such as when a young man dates a cheerleader or a young woman dates an athlete. Due to dating these types of people they are able to elevate their status among their peers. 

The fifth is socialization. The process of learning how to work effectively within a specific group of people is called socialization. As far as dating is concerned, another reason people date is so that they can learn how to work well with a partner.

These are all different ways people try to date. I want to thank everyone who read my blog post this week and I hope that you learned something new about dating and how different people got about doing it. Maybe the next time you go on a date you will be a little more thoughtful as to why you are going on a date and with whom you are going on a date with. If you have any questions or comments about the things that I have talked about, please let me know! I would love to hear your thoughts about dating. Again, thank you for reading and I hope that you read my blog next week!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family Relations Class Week #8

Family Relations Class Week #4

Introduction